Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Istanbul Grille - Pittsburgh, PA


The restaurants in the Cultural District for the most part felt mainstream so when I saw Istanbul,  I mentally noted it as a must eat stop for tomorrow.  Tomorrow is today.



Long lines form at lunch time and understandably so.  The line had shortened significantly by the time I took this photo.


I don't know the names of any item but it was all excellent! This is the Meat Plate at $9. The food is halal.  The chicken carved from the spit is so good, especially the slightly charred bits.  I don't know what's in it but it was awesome. The lettuce salad was simple and so delicious with the Mediterranean dressing.  The stuff on the right side was a hot sauce having just the right amount of heat.  The rice was simple yet equally addictive as the rest of the items.  Was I served bulgur and didn't know it?

Many customers ordered the Cold Plate, an all vegetarian ensemble.

Of all the places I ate at during my time in Pittsburgh, this place was to me the best.  I give it the highest recommendation and would return without a second thought.  I would have dined here a few times but I had to try other restaurants in the area and every time I ate elsewhere, I always thought about Istanbul and said Istanbul is better.

The owner couldn't be any nicer or generous. My colleague who didn't have cash was told to come back to pay later.  I  wish I could bring the owner and his restaurant back home.

Bathroom rating: ?

673 Liberty Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Istanbul Grille on Urbanspoon

Turkey Flag  Germany Flag  United States Flag 

No comments:

Post a Comment