Monday, March 5, 2012

Primanti Brothers (Revisit) - Pittsburgh, PA


During my first visit, I wasn't overly impressed with the Primanti sandwich.  Yes, the sandwich is a stomachful. Yes it is visually impressive. But it lacked foodie zing.

As I was back in area I decided to give it another shot.  I walked in with a desire to order the pastrami but after reviewing the menu, decided upon their Number 2 bestseller.



The Number 2 bestseller according to the menu is the Pitts-burgher Cheese Steak at just under $6. Not seeing what Number 1 is, I asked the waitress what is and she replied beer.  I really wasn't in the mood for it but had to see why it was Number 2.

From the name I envisioned it would be like a Philly Cheese Steak.  The waitress plopped this on the table.  The meat wasn't Philly Cheese Steak style chopped steak but a hamburger patty with melted cheese.  The patty was slightly better quality than a McDonald's patty with a smoother texture and beefier taste reminiscent of Salisbury steak.

The coleslaw volume made it a coleslaw sandwich with meat topping (or bottom).  The fries were decent but unsalted.  I felt the fries were better standalone than in the sandwhich.  This was a case where the whole was not greater than the sum of the parts.

The sandwich fulfills the need as food to stuff yourself silly but it just isn't must-eat food. If you're in Pittsburgh, go once to say you've eaten an iconic sandwich.  Then indulge in all the other food opportunities available on the Square and the Cultural District.

2 South Market Square
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 261-1599

Primanti Brothers on Urbanspoon

United States Flag

No comments:

Post a Comment