Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Rebel BBQ - Blythe, CA


Rebel is in an unexpected location sandwiched between a McDonald's and Pizza Hut, almost lost by the larger brighter signs of both.


Pastrami sandwich.  I was expected an NY style sandwich with slices of pastrami and sandwich bread.  Instead this came out and it was ever spectacular with yellow mustard. Smoky, spicy, salty.  It was so good I returned for another.  If you can order only one item on their extensive menu, order this signature Pastrami sandwich.

The jalapeno potato salad was average.




Pulled Beef Brisket. I'm not a fan of beef brisket in general because to me it always seems dry.  Nonetheless, I ordered brisket as Rebel seemed to do things right.  I'm glad I ordered it because it turned out to be the best brisket I've had. I don't proclaim it as the best in the world but it was  smokey, tender, and moist was all I could ask for.

The smoked mac and cheese was average.


Good As Hell Burger.

By all appearances, you would not think this is a burger but a pulled pork sandwich.  This is a good sandwich, maybe even a great sandwich but I can't really classify this as a burger as Rebel does. This thing is a monstrous 1 pounder if not more.  The burger patty is hidden beneath a mountain of pulled pork, peppers, and cheese yet event then when biting into patty, the smoky spicy snap of the burger comes through.  The hoagie roll held up well to the massive weight. More patty and less pork please!

Burger Rating: 8.2/10. I should have ordered their standard burger.  As a pulled pork sandwich I would rate it 8.9.


St Louis Ribs.  To call this a disappointment is an understatement. It had only the slightest hint of smoke and was otherwise bland.  The meat was lean and not too dry but it was hardly tender requiring much chew and a firm bite to pull the meat off the bones.  The sauce was watery and insipid. This is the quality I can find any given night at an Old Country Buffet, not a eatery specializing in barbecue. 

Restroom Rating:  7.0.

181 South Lovekin Boulevard
Blythe, CA 92225
(760) 922-7000

Rebel Bar-B-Que  on Urbanspoon

Puerto Rico Flag

No comments:

Post a Comment