Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hanoi Kitchen - Portland, OR


I've been to many Vietnamese restaurants and most tended to be utilitarian.  Hanoi Kitchen sets itself apart with the furniture and decor which is modern, well kept, and clean. I suppose that's to attract
Western customers. That's all good and dandy but does it serve equally good Vietnamese food that would attract Vietnamese customers?  On a Sunday night, only American clientele were present.

I started off with an order of the usual Vietnamese rolls Cha Gio.  These were thinner, less meaty than I have come to expect and didn't have the flaky potato chip crunch I had come to expect.  OK but nothing near my expectations.


Banh Cuon Ha Noi - Hanoi Rice Rolls are rice crepes filled with ground pork, shrimp, onion, and wood ear mushrooms topped with toasted ground shrimp and slices of Vietnamese ham.  These are quite similar to Chinese Cheung Fun except of course this is the Vietnamese version.  In of itself, it was on the bland side and needed a heavy dosing of nuoc mam pha to bring out it's flavor.

I wasn't enamored with the Vietnamese ham reminding me of a lighter, airy, less tasty version of Spam.  I like Spam but this again was too bland for my taste.

Overall Hanoi Kitchen offers respectable dishes but there is plenty of competition.

Restroom Rating:  7.0

7925 NE Glisan St  
Portland, OR 97213
(503) 252-1300


Hanoi Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment