Monday, February 4, 2013

Podnah's Pit - Portland, OR




A local said a good restaurant  in the northwest Portland is Podnah's if you like BBQ.  He said ribs, pulled pork, and brisket are the main attraction but Podnah's offer other options also.



Brisket I've tried always had been too dry and flavorless so I stuck with and ordered Half Ribs with Collard Greens and Coleslaw.
  
The ribs were huge, meaty, and smokey. The ribs had more meaty boneless tops than I like as I desire the lower bony section.  The meat was average moist and tender, nowhere near desirable fall off the bones tender.  The ribs arrived lukewarm whereas they should be finger dropping hot. Other than the smokiness, the ribs were flat and salted for someone on a low sodium diet.  Any signature flavor failed to permeate much below the bark.  Of course the table had the obligatory pack of spices sauce, vinegar sauce, mustard sauce, etc in squeeze bottles but for me barbecue ribs should stand alone.  Any additional sauce added is just for a little more zing and variety.  

The collard greens were as expected, salty, sweet, and tart. In a word good. The coleslaw had a spicy kick from jalapenos or something similar, the lighting too dim to clarify.  Different but also good.

I can understand the attraction of Podnah's but for me at their price point I had much higher expectations.

Restroom Rating: Didn't use.

1625 NE Killingsworth St 
Portland, OR 


Podnah's Pit BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment