Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hacienda Real - Janesville, WI



When I go to a Mexican restaurant in a small city, I wonder if it will be authentic, in this case "real" - ha, ha. Even though the staff and apparent owner are Hispanic, would the food be watered down or full bore made to satisfy the Mexican palate?

The menu selection is huge with everything typically offered at a Mexican restaurant.  Until you get to the section on the Molcajete. What's that?



Molcajete Real ($15) comprises grilled steak, chicken, chorizo, shrimp, sauteed onions, tomatoes, jalapeno, red sauce, cambray onions, cactus leaves, and cheese.

A still picture doesn't do this entree justice. The stone bowl arrived sizzling hot and the sauce continued for a good 3 minutes. This bowl was huge and I wondered how I would be able to finish it.  I didn't.  I left with half of it. 

The proteins were fairly standard not that well seasoned in itself by flavored by the sauce.  The proteins, especially the shrimp were slightly overcooked, I supposed by the continued sizzle of the sauce. Of the proteins, I favored the chorizo. The veggies were perfect especially my favorite the cambray onions.  The onions were slightly charred and fresh tasting with a slight bite. The cactus was springy with a slightly nutty and citrusy note.  The jalapeno was also nice with a spicy kick.

If this is representative of the quality of food they offer, I would unhesitatingly return for more. 

Restroom Rating:  Didn't use


Hacienda Real on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment