Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Biwa - Portland, OR



The Biwa Burger is available only late nights and it was fitting that my schedule forced me to a late dinner. No matter, the late night made parking easy and the service immediate.



Biwa Burger

Ordered medium rare, it arrived medium rare. With a great burger, the first bite tells much of the story and with the Biwa Burger, the story was told.  Deep, beefy, smoky, juicy, spicy, and with a thick burger bite letting me know I was biting into some real meat. With the excitement of the first bite over, I slowed down to scrutinize the textures and tastes and noticed one thing in particular. The chasyu which nominally took the place of the cheese didn't provide the melty mouth feel or gel the all the components together.
  • Bun:  Sesame. Very fresh and one of the I can recall having on a burger.  It was on slightly on the small side and nearing disintegration with the last few bites. 
  • Toppings: Chasyu, lettuce, kimchi mayo
  • Cheese:  None
  • Meat: Seasoned ground beef, 1/2 in. thick
  • Cost:  $8 including potato salad
  • Rating: 9.5. It would have rated higher but I have become so accustomed to cheese on a burger that the Biwa Burger felt like it was missing something. That's not an indictment of the Biwa burger but of myself.
I ordered a house made Genmai cream soda which I believe is brown rice.  It didn't taste like rice but had slightly sweet taste reminiscent of pineapple Certs candy.

Restroom Rating:  Biwa shares locked restrooms with other tenants.

Biwa on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment