Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Old Fashioned - Madison, WI



Featured on The Best Thing I Ever Ate.

The Old Fashioned has the luck of the location being across from the Capitol building and getting the traffic of the Farmer's Market.  It was bustling today with a lively raucous joyous sounding crowd.
It's as elegant on the inside as it appears to be on the face.


I can just imagine the politicians in the Capitol imbibing in the spirits behind the beautifully maintained cabinetry.

While The Old Fashioned offers an fairly eclectic menu (for Wisconsin), I came here with one thing on my mind.


No. 30 The Old Fashioned House Burger

Yup, call it No. 30.  The first bite had mmm'ing and ooh'ing because the package was so texturally and flavorfully pleasing while I was busy containing the innards that squirted out after the first bite.  After I settled in, I tried to discern what it was that was so sensational and it hit me that it was the egg. Someone said an runny egg makes everything better and in this case, it took the burger up another level.  So the golden yolk squirted out onto the plate and I swabbed it up with burger which was falling apart on me. The roll was fresh and butter to a heavenly level.  The bacon provided the smokey flavors, the onions provided a sweet crunchy contrast, and the garlic provided the umami.  I ordered it medium and being so dimly lit inside, I stared intently at the burger to discover it was well done.  The patty wasn't juicy and it had a slightly overworked denseness along with a slightly rough texture.  The burger is ultimately about the meat and when I took a bite of it unadorned, it was somewhat peppery with otherwise little flavor and with a hint of beefiness.

The No. 30 could be a great sandwich minus the patty.

  • Bun:  Buttered and toasted roll.  A slightly higher bread to innards ratio would have been better. It disintegrated too readily.
  • Toppings: Fried onions, Bavaria’s hickory-smoked bacon, garlic sauce and a soft-cooked egg. The egg is pure genius.
  • Cheese:  Aged Cheddar
  • Meat: About 1/2 in. thick, about 1/3rd lb, assumed local grass fed beef, grilled over live fire
  • Cost: $9.95
  • Rating: 9.1. Great everything except patty.  It would have rated higher if the patty had been medium and had been less worked over.  It has potential. 

The service was pleasant and the atmosphere was outstanding.

Restroom Rating:  The restroom in a high profile eatery as this was out of order? You've got to be kidding me.  I'd put a plumber on it as quickly as I'd put someone to fix the gas or electricity.


The Old Fashioned on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment