Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Bunk Sandwiches - Portland, OR


Bunk, featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and Adam Richman's Best Sandwiches in America sits next door to one of my favorite Portland restaurants, Le Pigeon. It doesn't get much better now adding Bunk to my list of favorite eats and having two favorite restaurants side by side.

When asked what their most popular sandwich was, the response was the Cubano. Of course that would be the one to order.



The Pork Belly Cubano comprises pork belly, ham, swiss, pickles, and mustard on a crunchy toasted roll. I've had the traditional Cuban sandwich prepared by Cubans and non-Cubans and up to this point the Cuban made ones tasted better by far but this Northwestern take on the Cuban beats any previous Cuban I've had hands down.  Unlike the traditional Cubans that pronounce the tart pickles and mustard, both in this sandwich are subdued and balanced with the other ingredients.  The ham and cheese are noticeable each contributing texture and flavor. The pork belly is wonderfully porky and comforting and the crown jewel of the sandwich. And wrapping up this package is the wonderfully crispy and fresh roll that provides just the right crunch without having "sharp corners".

It was OMG good and I had just eaten a full meal minutes before. This ranks in the Top Ten sandwiches I have had. Portland is fortunate to have two of my favorite sandwich shops.  I'm sure you can guess which pig fat sandwich place the other one would be.

I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."  Psalm 91:2

Bunk Sandwiches on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment