Saturday, November 9, 2013

Deli Roma - Sun Prarie, WI

CLOSED DEC 21, 2013



Walking into Deli Roma, I had mild expectations.  So often I read about so and so place being good only to be disappointed. On the other hand, a place sometimes exceeds expectations.

Walking into Deli Roma, three customers were ahead of us awaiting their orders. The counter was abandoned and it was about a minute before anyone showed up and took our order with New York brusqueness.  Deli Roma isn't quite a hole in the wall but it is somewhat of a dive.


Muffaletta is Deli Roma's signature sandwich and comprises Genoa salami, ham, mortadella, provolone, mozzarella, and of course it wouldn't be a muffaletta without the olive salad.  At just under $13, the wallet took a hit.

It was about a 5 minute wait and then our order was called. It was the size of a go-kart tire with weight to match.  This was one big mother of a sandwich and weighed in over a pound, maybe closer to two.  It could easily feed two to four people.

What exactly is the bread? Muffaletta bread? Focaccia?  Ciabatta?  I plead ignorance.  I only say it was fantastic component of the  and the best and freshest bread I've had in my limited experience in the Madison area.

The meats and cheeses as densely packed and stacked as they were didn't feel excessive or overdone but were balanced properly with the olive salad and the bread. The deli cuts were outstanding in quality, texture, fat content, and saltiness. The garlicky olive salad also was well balanced with olives, olive oil, and the pickled vegetables that only got better the next day.

I haven't had the opportunity to chow on a Central Grocery muffaletta in New Orleans, which is the original and the gold standard and I don't know how Deli Roma's muffaletta compares but it surely didn't disappoint even in the slightest.  I've had many muffalettas in various restaurants and they never even came close to matching my homemade version but Deli Roma's version far exceeds mine and my expectations.

Restroom Rating:  Didn't even notice if there was a public restroom.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Matt. 11:28-30

Deli Roma on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment