Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fire on the Mountain - Portland, OR



I'm not much of a fan of Buffalo wings and never understood their popularity but it's almost as if there is an unspoken code that says you should like them.  Would Fire On The Mountain which has a reputation for wings make me a convert?




I ordered a kid's platter with 3 wings and fries. In hindsight, I should have ordered the smallest adult basket consisting of 6 wings for value.  These were ordered to go.



Buffalo wings are typically tart and spicy on the exterior and over fried and dry, stringy, and bland on the inside. There's typically no flavor to the meat, all the flavor resides in the skin.

I had ordered the wings medium to play it safe.  For my tastes, these were more on the mild side than medium.  The wings were a sweeter, fresher, and more moist than typical but it's almost as if the wings were taken from chickens genetically engineered to be midgets. It wouldn't be Buffalo wings if it didn't have that familiar cayenne hot sauce tartness and spicy after kick but Fire's version was a little more mellow and smoother.

The fries which appear to be an afterthought were bountiful, were surprisingly good and for my taste, even better than the wings.

Fire on the Mountain serves good Buffalo wings and make my Top Ten Buffalo wing list but Fire hasn't made me a convert to the cult of Buffalo wings.

Restroom Rating:  Didn't use

Fire on the Mountain on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment