Sunday, November 24, 2013

John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA



Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods America  did a feature here and sucked up to John and Momma and proclaimed the Roast Pork as the best.. Zimmern has encyclopedic knowledge of foods but you have to question if his reviews reflect reality when he finds everything from brains to ass to placenta to funky toes wonderful.

Don't ask for broccoli rabe on the roast pork.  When you ask for it, your response is a question, "Spinach?" No, broccoli rabe? Spinach?  No broccoli rabe? Do you want spinach?  Yeah I'll take it. Cheese? Yes. What type? Sharp.

I'm a first timer.  Yeah maybe it's the east coast brusqueness and you can get away with it because you've got the reputation but you better be able to back it up.  The cashier seemed miserable and angry. Maybe she wasn't but that's how I read her face.  As comedian Billy Crystal once joked about then presidential candidate John Kerry, "If you're happy, tell your face."


Roast Pork with Spinach and Sharp Provolone. Zimmern said this is his first stop every time he's in Philly and this is what he orders.  The pork is paper thin and reminded me of processed pork heavy on the MSG.  It was so heavy on MSG I drank 32 ounces of Coke later in the evening and was still parched. The spinach was mild and provided texture more than taste. The cheese had melted and blended in rather than standing prominent. The roll was a bit dry and starchy where it hadn't been in sodden with the juices.

John's was a must eat on my list and I came here specifically for the pork sandwich. I'm glad I did and can cross it off the list. The roast pork was good maybe even very good but the one I was served today if typical didn't live up to the accolades.  It certainly didn't make my Top 20 list of best sandwiches.  I wasn't blown away by it like I was by Tony Luke's roast pork. If John's is Zimmern's Roast Pork, Tony Luke's is mine.


John's Roast Pork on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment