Sunday, November 17, 2013

Silk City Diner - Philadelphia, PA


Guy Fieri did it to me again.  Following another of the breadcrumb trails he's left via Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, he led me to Silk City Diner.

Street parking was easy enough and comparatively plentiful for Philly.  Silk City Diner is hipster staffed more fitting in Portland than Philly but the staff doesn't have the Portland edge.


Smothered Chicken and Waffles comprises white meat chicken,  honey chipotle waffles, sausage gravy, and corn puree. The plate came out in about 10 minutes after the order but with all the ingredients prepared in advance. The chicken was lukewarm. The gravy was lukewarm. The waffles were lukewarm. Seeing a pattern?

I finished off a third of the waffle and by that point I felt I had enough of a taste to know it was rather flat so I doused it with some black pepper and Tabasco sauce.  Where was the chipotle?  The heat I felt was courtesy of the Tabasco but nearing the end of the third waffle, the heat seemed more intense than should have been from the Tabasco.  I had originally taken the sausage for ground pork as it was leaner and less seasoned than I expect in sausage. The gravy was creamy albeit lacking seasoning and was the best part of the dish.  The chicken was midway tender and lacking juices, a sign to me the chicken had either been overcooked or reheated.  I vote reheated in this case.

Chicken and waffles is one of the current food trends.  If this was representative, I'll pass on this trend. Following Guy's trail, I'm more leaning toward Guy getting the special chef's treatment rather than being a shill.  I see the potential but the execution isn't guaranteed for the nobody like World Food Cruiser.

Restroom Rating:  7.5.  Silk City attempts to maintain the unisex restrooms well but the vandalistic and messy customers make it a challenge.

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17

Silk City Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment