Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Nicholas Restaurant - Portland, OR


Nicholas is a very busy and popular place for all including the beautiful people.  It was packed the entire time with people waiting to get in.


While waiting for the entree to come out, this huge pillowy pita bread is brought out.  This alone could be a meal, bigger than most pizzas.


Meat Mezza: Humus, falafel balls, tahziki, tabouli, triangle lamb pies, and beef kafta skewer.

Hummus - very smooth, understated, mellow but perfect.  The second favorite item of the evening.

Tahziki - tart as expected I'm not sure why so much is dished out.

Tabouli salad - one of the better ones I've had.  Mellow, less intense parsley taste, citrusy.

Falafel - I'm passionate for great falafel, ordering it everywhere I go.  This one was atypical lacking the crunchy exterior and soft center. This was more of a homogeneous preparation and on the greasy side. If this were the first time for falafel, I would skip future opportunities.


Triangle lamb pie - I think but if it's not, what is it?  It was bland and soggy. It was like a spaghetti meat sauce only not as sweet or tomato-ey.  It was the biggest disappointment of the evening.


Beef kafta skewer - the last item to come out but my favorite.  Well seasoned, slightly spicy, and packed with flavor.  This should have come out with the carbs.  Then I would have had a better overall opinion. As it stands, I was stuffed by the time this arrived.

Service:  Nice young man - teenager or early 20's at most.  Very helpful, wanting to help, nice but not the most efficient. Maybe it was the kitchen.

I don't get the popularity. The food was decent but if the mezza was typical of the output, then it doesn't explain the long lines. It must be word of mouth or some other buzz factor. It's a social place, a place to say you ate here. It could be you get a lot of food for the money.

Restroom Rating:  Didn't use.

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. Revelation 3:20

Nicholas on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment